Can you recall someone sharing a hateful or hurtful opinion about your dream? Maybe it’s an aspiration from childhood or something that came to you at work one day. When you step out and dare to share it, it’s almost like you wince with just one eye open! Opinions are shared frequently, especially online, and often by those who have no vested interest in our lives. Today, my special guest, Nick Ray, and I will be talking about dream stealers and handling encounters with those who do not get you.
It is particularly painful when the pain is dealt by someone you love and who is close to you. Here you will find some practical advice to handling those who purposely, or accidentally, keep you from pursuing your dreams.
Six Steps To Handling Dream Stealers:
- Who is the source (i.e. do you respect them, do they invest in your life and your progress, do they care about you)
- Set and evaluate realistic mile markers that help you determine if this is a pipe dream or if you are really onto something
- Is there substance to the criticism that can bring positive change
- Does the dream need to remain a dream
- Could bias be an issue (because everyone who give you input is risk adverse)
- Get a mentor who has progressed further than you and ask them to help you evaluate the quality of your aspirations
You can get more information about Nick Ray here:
Thanks for Listening!
I’m interested in hearing from you! Reach out by:
- Leaving a note in the comment section below.
- Emailing a question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sharing this show on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn.
As always, I would appreciate your honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.